I live in the western USA where coyote predation of pets is common. I decided to build a catio for my wandering cat after the following occured:
- I saw coyotes prowling outside the fence three times in the span of a few months
- My cat snuck out the pet door when we had left on travel one Christmas and went AWOL for two weeks. We found him in the neighors yard having lost about 5 pounds.
- A number of unauthorized “snacks” obtained by jumping the fence into the neighbors yard via a low-hanging apricot tree branch and hiding behind a flowering plant to wait for unsuspecting birds to come.
The catio is based on the “Cumberland Cottage” chicken coop from tractor supply. Modifying it was pretty straightforward and consisted of
- Adding some 1x4’s to the back end to eliminate the gap between it and the house created by the roof overhang
- Building a wood base with flooring
- Building a window insert with a cat flap for entry